It’s been a while since I’ve written here, partly because I feel like anything I might want to say has been said already by people who could say it better! However, I’ve been promising some friends that I would make a list of some of my favorite blogs and websites I use for front-end dev and design resources, and I’ve been slacking off. Since these are the resources I’ve gathered over time, this is finally something I can write that someone else cannot ;)
Hopefully I’ll be able to get back into the swing of things and write here more often. But in the meantime at least, here’s a list of the web dev/design blogs that I try to keep up with.
- 24 Ways – The best description is right off the front page of the website: “24 ways is the advent calendar for web geeks. Each day throughout December we publish a daily dose of web design and development goodness to bring you all a little Christmas cheer.”
- A List Apart – I’m pretty sure that everyone knows about this, but you can’t just leave it out :) really fantastic articles from really smart people.
- CSS Tricks – Lots of neat CSS tricks to be learned here.
- Finch Fresh Thinking – Thought-provoking articles on design
- Jens Meiert – “Jens O. Meiert (Google, W3C, O’Reilly) on professional web design, web development, accessibility, and usability.”
- jQuery for Designers – I’m ashamed to admit it, but I like to just have things work in JS and not have to play with it forever. jQuery makes my life easy for this, so this site is kind of perfect.
- Just Creative Design – Fun to read articles on web and logo design
- Kimili – (link defunct) Pretty sure this is a friend of an old coworker of mine. I’ve enjoyed reading the seldom blog posts though and have used some of the techniques he has written about.
- Pro Blog Design – Many helpful WordPress tips here.
- SitePoint – Lots of assorted articles that are generally helpful for web development. They also sell books if you are so inclined to buy some.
- Smashing Magazine – Yet another site with lots of helpful articles about a wide variety of topics relevant to web designers/devs.
- Spyre Studios – Web design/dev magazine. Lots of list type posts (ie “6 amazing things you can do with wordpress”) but I’ve enjoyed reading the articles.
- The Designer’s Review of Books – I’ve added way too many books (is there such a thing?) to my amazon wishlist because of this site.
- Vandelay Website Design – Nice blog with list posts, inspiration, etc.
- Web Designer Wall – Inspiration for design and development, and tips!
- Web Designer Depot – Articles on design and development
- WP Recipes – More WordPress tips and tricks.
People in the web design/development world I like to follow. I think these are all pretty obvious :)
Not updated but I still keep an eye on it and may use old articles for reference:
- Blog Design Blog – (link defunct) Blog on blog design. Surprise!
- Accessites.org – (link defunct) Web accessibility
I think that hits the majority of them. Of course, there are also some sites I don’t follow regularly but still grab some articles off of them that I like. You can always find a list of the web dev related bookmarks I’ve made on delicious.